Sunday, July 26, 2009

Living with others...

So, we are moving to The Netherlands in a month and 3 days. Of course, we don't have a place of our own, so we will be living with close friends of my husband's for the first period of time that we are there...hopefully not very long. It was very generous of them to offer us a room in their home, a room that they have since completely re-decorated and renovated....what? Yeah. This is so generous! My worry is actually being under the same roof with others.

For the last three weeks we have been traveling, visiting family and friends in New Brunswick and Quebec. It has been so wonderful spending time with everyone, however, we usually never visit anyone for more than really a weekend, maximum, 4 days, no here we were, we spent a week and a half at my folks (where my brother and his son also live) and a week and a half at my best friend's house where my dog is confined to outdoors and basement because my friend has allergies. Don't get me wrong, I am having a great time, but I think the fact that we will not be really ALONE for a few months still is starting to worry me. Every one has their own little routines, and habits, and moods, and, well, you get the picture. I want to keep my friends in The Nethrelands who are welcoming us with open arms, and I don't want us all to get on each other's nerves, but I think this is inevitable!

We will try to get out of the house as much as possible. Maybe some weekends at my father-in-law's in the Province of Groningen, maybe with my Sister-in-law, or some romantic getaways (which I am sure we will need after a while!). The best thing to do is, I think, to try to adapt to their ways, and try to stay out of the way and be as helpful as possible. Anyway, this is my plan.

I am hopeful that by December, at the latest, we will be able to get a mortgage and move into our own house....hopeful...wishful!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is so generous to have family friends like that! When we first moved here, we were living in the guest house of the company my boyfriend works for. Every night new business associates were staying there, even his boss from time to time! It was annoying, but it really forced us to get out of the house in the winter and explore different cities and parts in the Netherlands. Now that we have our own apartment in Amsterdam, we are less inclined to do fun day-trips across the country, because it's just so cozy here haha! I guess everything has its ups and downs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I meant to ask you what other languages do you speak besides French and English?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I love hearing from you!